Sunday, July 1, 2012

Magic Mike?

So, has anyone out there seen Magic Mike yet? I didn't even know this movie existed until last week. I invited a friend out for karaoke (which. was. amazing.), and she made some comment about compromising her self-respect to go see Magic Mike. I wasn't sure if she was joking, so of course, I went to look it up.

On the one hand, the IMDB description doesn't really grab me:

A male stripper teaches a younger performer how to party, pick up women, and make easy money.
On the other, this article has a few interesting comments to make, that alleviate some of my fears:
It isn't a romance. Promos for this film make it seem like a rom-com with some butt action, but at its heartMagic Mike is about students and teachers. The primary relationship in the film is between Mike and his protege "The Kid" (Alex Pettyfer), and I'd argue that the secondary relationship is between Mike and Dallas (Matthew McConaughey). Romantic relationships come in at a distant third, or maybe even fourth after the camaraderie among the Xquisite male strippers. Overall, the centrality of the mentor/mentee dynamic makes this more of aKarate Kid or a Training Day than a gender-swapped version of Pretty Woman. Who knew?
So, has anyone seen it so they can let me know what they think?

No comments:

Post a Comment